Martha Gertrude Thompson Hennington, 90, passed away on Sunday, December 23, 2012. A graveside service was held 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 26 at Crystal Springs City Cemetery, the Reverend Joel Haire, pastor emeritus of First Baptist Church officiated. Stringer Family Funeral Home in Crystal Springs handled arrangements.
Born in Hazlehurst on April 24, 1922, Martha was a graduate of both Hazlehurst High School and Copiah-Lincoln Junior College. She married her high school sweetheart, Harold Marlyn Hennington, in Sacramento, California in 1943, while he was serving in the U.S. Army Air Corps during World War II. During her husband’s military service, Martha and her family resided in a number of places both in the United States and abroad; nevertheless, the Henningtons ultimately made their home at 107 South Avenue in Crystal Springs, where Martha would remain following Harold’s death in 1974.
Martha worked for many years as a secretary with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and following her “retirement” in 1982, she worked for an additional ten years as a public librarian, first at the J. T. Biggs Library in Crystal Springs and then at the Covington Library in Hazlehurst. A long-time member of First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, she enjoyed involvement in the Dorcas Sunday School Class, the JOY ministry, and the Golden Choir. Martha also was active in a number of social and service organizations, including the Crystals Springs MacDowell Music Club and the local chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Martha was preceded in death by her beloved husband Harold, her infant daughter Marsha Jane, as well as by her two siblings, Arthur St. Clair Thompson, Jr. and Helen Thompson Yates. She is survived by her three children, Marna Hennington Walker (Jimmy), Harold Marlyn Hennington, Jr. (Kay), and Bob Selby Hennington (Ginger) all of Crystal Springs, five grandchildren, thirteen great-grandchildren, and hosts of nieces, nephews, and dear friends.
Memorials may be made to the J. T. Biggs Library in Crystal Springs, Mississippi.